Summer is most assuredly the season for no-bake desserts and cold desserts. Not only is it nice to get a break from the hot oven, but those cold desserts are lovely to eat when it’s scorchingly hot.
It’s no secret that I adore the combination of peanut butter and chocolate. I use it in cookies, brownies, cakes, and anything else I can manage. A strong case could be made that there is no better friendship in the dessert world. It’s surely in the top 5.
This recipe is one of my go-to summer recipes. It’s one of those almost-no-bake recipes. You do need a little oven time for the crust, but it’s just a few minutes. And it’s totally worth it. It’s a pretty standard graham cracker crust. But, it does have one addition that I just love for this pie – cinnamon. That little hint of cinnamon makes this pie a whole lot more interesting. If you’re not convinced, you can certainly leave it out. But, did I mention how good it is?
Let’s talk a minute about whipping cream. It’s tedious but necessary. I’ve mentioned it before, but it bears repeating that I have a new much-loved kitchen gadget. This Tovolo Easy Prep Hand Mixer may be my favorite thing I’ve bought for the kitchen all year. I admit I was skeptical, but you can honestly go from cream to whipped cream in about 30 seconds. The product information states that it can be used for mixing eggs, batters, and dressings, too, but I’ve gotten enough use out of it just by whipping cream.
Okay, enough with my un-paid endorsements. Back to the pie! That lovely crust is filled with a creamy, cream cheese-y, peanut butter-y filling that I could enjoy all on its own. Be sure to use miniature chocolate chips so you can get more chocolate in each bite. You know my theory about more chocolate, right? That’s always a good idea.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 & 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until moistened. Press the mixture evenly on the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer with a whisk attachment to whip cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.
You can find complete recipes of this PEANUT BUTTER-CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE in bakeorbreak.com