The other day I found myself thinking about making one of my favourite summer dishes, asparagus carbonara, and I thought that if I was making it anyways why not update the photos for the older recipe? I was all set to go when I remembered the roasted cauliflower and mushroom carbonara and I knew that a roasted asparagus and mushroom carbonara would be amazing since asparagus and mushrooms are such a fabulous combination! This carbonara recipe is pretty easy where you just need to cook the bacon while the vegetable roast and the pasta cooks and then you mix everything together with the sauce. As much as I enjoy the cauliflower version I think I like this asparagus one even better and it just screams summer!
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice) (gluten free for gluten free)
- 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces or 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Toss the asparagus and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn off the heat.
- Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
You can find complete recipes of this Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara in closetcooking.com